Monday, July 13, 2009

Digital Wrong Management

Digital Rights Management software needs to be invisible unless the law is broken, or it will not work.

I struck upon the above phrase while chatting with my brother the other day, and I think I've finally summed up my problem with the whole copyright debate.

I like to watch TV and movies. I do not want to steal them, and I don't want to sell them. With this in mind, I'm cool with the companies that provide these things including software to prevent me from swiping it, but not if it prevents me from using it.

It sounds so simple now, but it's sadly unattainable at present. If I want to watch a movie in my DVD player, then copy it to my computer and stream it to my PS3, I should be able to do so. I'm not breaking the law. but DRM prevents me from using files outside of a narrow definition set by the distributor. The rights being managed are certainly not mine, and that sucks.

No comments: