Thursday, November 27, 2008

It came ... from between the ears!

Coherent thought is beyond me at the moment, but random thoughts are mine to command!

Guitar Hero: World Tour is funner than it has any right to be. With me on guitar and Leen on skins, our house has been a whirlwind trip of fame and fortune for close to a week. The good thing is that, with the two of us, no-one has to do the embarrassing singing. But when others arrive on the scene? Off the hook.

Signing up to X-Box Live is more complicated than, well, anything I have experienced of late.

I have idly watched the first season of Eureka, a TV series that came with the ringing endorsement of me never having heard of it before. The premise is great: It's set in a secret town populated by America's brightest scientists, which has quietly made every scientific breakthrough we've known - and many that aren't. Sadly, the writing keeps it as a sunny diversion rather than a show I could really sink my teeth into. The ideas behind each episode are clever and keep you guessing, but the execution tends to go for easy laughs. Still, I'd watch season 2 if it fell in my lap.

I want to apologise for descending into angry rant territory yesterday - I'm trying to keep that to as much of a minimum as possible.

I read the concluding issue of Grant Morrison's Batman RIP today, a storyline that promised a reveal so big it would turn the earth's core into pure excitement. Now, this is Morrison we're talking about here, and admittedly I'd only sporadically followed the previous issues, but I didn't really see the big deal. I'm willing to give Morrison the benefit of the doubt and assume he was working on a different level - there was some good stuff about Bruce Wayne's state of mind that I liked. But the ending SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERS depicts Bruce Wayne possibly dying but you don't see a body. If not for factors outside of the work - interviews, hype and solicitations - I would not see this as anything out of the comic book ordinary. I do look forward to reading the story through again though, as well as the follow-up.

I should finally get a chance to see The Incredible Hulk tomorrow, I'll share my thoughts when I get a crack. I don't expect something of the Dark Knight or Iron Man level, but my mind is open and expectations have long passed, which is a good way to see a film. I did like Ang Lee's crack, upon reflection.

Has anybody read Hulk: The End? It's great, with Bruce Banner the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust. He repeatedly attempts suicide but the Hulk always seizes control at the last moment. Love it.

I spent much of the morning swimming and floating at the pool, and it was marvelous. The temperature reached 38C so it was exceedingly pleasant. Getting out? Was lame.

Broken Hill got a Domino's Pizza this week, adding to the Herculean amount of unhealthy takeaway food on offer in this, a fat city of fatties.
In unrelated news, on Tuesday I tasted a pizza that featured four layers of cheese, an amount so dense that I almost immediately fell asleep, my body reduced to an immobile dairy processing plant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you weren't a bigger fan. Yeah, I can see its flaws but it's just so damn fun and all the characters and the way they all interact keeps me watching.

Want a copy of season 2? lemme know. i liked the dark turn the show took. season 3 isnt bad, the season arc for 3 was a bit meh but i'm still liking it..

(actually, if you rewatch episode 1 - there's a book walter's wife is reading in bed which spoils the big mystery. it's eventually solved but i never saw it first time around...)

sdelatovic said...

Oh dude I certainly enjoyed it and I'm glad your spruiking led me to watching it.

It's just ... there is a huge volume of stuff to get through.
I have a massive pile of various content begging for my attention, and I've finally realised I cannot get to it all.

I really liked Eureka, but I;ve started looking at stuff as 'will this be my new all-time fave?' If it isn't, I have to shuffle it down into the 'get to it sometime' pile.

But I'd certainly like to see season 2.