Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prepare for fascination!


The above photo, a snapshot of my future, couresy of Kaptain Kobold.

As some of you may be aware, I have had a long, torrid affair with Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures.

I found it to be a tabletop strategy game without peer. I travelled far and wide to compete against other players, and have been enjoying it as my primary hobby on a nigh weekly basis for years.

But alas! Like almost every television program I have ever enjoyed, Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures has been cancelled. This is becoming quite the habit for me - Firefly, Angel and Freaks and Geeks, I'm looking at you.

Tangent: About two weeks ago I said this: "Hey, I've finally started watching Doctor Who! It's great! I'm really digging this David Tennent guy, I look forward to his continuing adventures." About two weeks and one day ago David Tennent said this: "I resign".

So anyway, in the wake of DDM's cancellation, my eyes turned to Heroclix. It is also a collectible miniatures game, but this time, plastic takes the form of comic book superheroes [also known as my childhood]. We found a buttload of the things online at a massively discounted price and they arrived this week - almost three days after Wizkids, the company that produces Heroclix, was itself cancelled! I cannot, and will not, catch a break.

Tonight is the first time I will play the game, so there is still a reasonable chance that it will suck. But I've perused the rulebook and you can hit people so hard they fly off of buildings and smash through walls, so I'm reasonably confident.

Playing isn't really that big of an issue anyway. I've had an immense amount of fun putting teams of heroes and villains together and coming up with serpentine story lines explaining their co-operation. Imaginationotron engage!

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Tsunami Hee Ja said...

Ohhhhhhh, now the photo makes partial sense.

The same thing happens whenever I download a file-sharing program. About a fortnight after I finally got Napster - pffbt. Then my ex recommended "Morpheus" - less than a month later it was dead. I tried a couple of others in there somewhere with similar results, and the latest one, "e-donkey" carked it very shortly after I PAID to use the shitty thing. This is why I'm the only goober without and i-pod.