Wednesday, January 28, 2009

T to the E to the L E VISION


It's been too hot here lately to contemplate any kind of actitivity that involves movement.

As such, I've been watching a lot of TV. Here's what I've been watching:

LOST: I've waited nine months for the first episode of season five, and I can say with certainty that I was not disappointed. My appreciation of the show had atrophied through lack of use, but after two short episodes, my brain is headed right back into obsession. I'll shy away from saying much, as I know I have readers who aren't caught up, but once again it's a change in narrative formula that truly excites me. That's why I love LOST, the storytelling structure is as fascinating to me as the story itself.

30 Rock: I feel like the writer's strike knocked a bit of the wind out of sails and the show is yet to recover, but it's still a damn good show. Season three has been entertaining, but a lot of episodes haven't been worth rewatching. Of course, there are few shows that I ever rewatch, so it's hardly a serious criticism. Season one, though, I have seen at least 30 times, and still put on a episode at least once a week - that was amazing television. I recently introduced a friend to season one, and sharing that has rekindled my interest.

The Wire: I have all of the episodes! Man, this show was just ... amazing. I cannot convey how satisfying and rewarding it was to have followed the show all the way through. A truly satisfying ending. I really enjoyed season 5, but I think season 4 would be my favourite. But seeing a newspaper portrayed in the final season gave me another level of enjoyment.

Doctor Who: After my recent post on The Doctor, and subsequent avalanche of "keep watching" comments I received both online and in the physical realm, I watched episode "Planet of the Ood". It was excellent. I will continue watching. And man, having Captain Darling in there as a balding bastard elevated it to a whole new level.

Battlestar Gallactica: Another show preceded by an epic wait. It was a good episode, but goddamit if it wasn't as bleak as all hell. Seriously, I'm happy to wait a while before watching again, as it was entirely depressing. Still, I'm in this one for the long haul.

I apologise for the lack of depth, but it is 45c, and my brain has partially melted.


No comments: