Thursday, June 18, 2009




Apparently, Marvel will soon release a mini-series that will go back over Spiderman's Clone Saga.

Really?

Spiderman has always been my favourite comics character. I was unlucky enough to develop my comics addiction during the nineties, when comics are considered to have been terrible. Luckily, I was young enough to love the hell out of terrible stories, as long as they involved bright colours and lots of punching.

At the time I enjoyed the Clone Saga - in which a clone of Spiderman reappears years after his fleeting appearance in a single issue - as it was epically long and involved.

With age and hindsight I realise the saga was overblown, directionless and just refused to end. It went off the rails, through a mountain and then crashed into the moon.

Apparently, this upcoming miniseries is going to present the saga 'as intended'. Despite my better judgement, there is no way I won't be reading this.

My understanding is the saga was originally intended to end with the clone being revealed as the real Spiderman, an idea I love, but I doubt that will happen here.

Anyway, this is a great time for me to point you towards the mammoth "Life of Reily" article, that I have read four times. Every once and a while I remember it, try to find it, and end up reading it all again.

It's written by some people that were working on the book when the saga hit, and it's a fascinating tale of storytellers pulling against a corporation in a mine cart headed to hell.

Even if you don't like comics, it really is fascinating.

The Life of Reily

Photograph provided by -sel.

No comments: