Friday, June 19, 2009

I can stop driving in a slow panic

I've spent the last two days jumping through hoops in an attempt to secure my green slip.
I don't know if green slips are an international thing, but here in our wide, brown, barbecued land, that's what we call our 'compulsory third party insurance' - a document you must possess to register your car.
The entire ordeal has been painful, because it involves handing over an obscene amount of money for something that approaches pointlessness.
I understand why I need this - it provides a blanket of safety on our roads - but I don't understand why it costs so much. I don't know why our particular vehicular situation demands a higher cost. Having questions answered with 'that's just the way it is' is my least favourite thing ever, and it has been a repeated experience of late.
Photograph provided by FatMandy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you seek different quotes?
You don't have to go with the insurance company on the green slip sent to you - you can seek a different insurer, and sometimes it can be a substantial saving.

Unfortunately, this advice may have come too late...

B.

sdelatovic said...

Thank you sir,

I did learn that this time, after years of paying whatever I was told.

Of course, most providers found a way to avoid a discounted rate.

But I prevailed! Yippee!