Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Underbelly Effect

Regarding Australian TV:

The Australian-made television series Underbelly appeared on screens in 2008. It was based on the Melbourne Gangland War. It was awesome.
It was not shown in Broken Hill, and it was some time before I saw it. I had the following exchange countless times:

Person: "Dude, have you seen Underbelly?"
Me: "No."
Person: "It's awesome! Seriously! Best thing I've seen in some time."
Me: "But ... isn't it Australian?"
Person: "I know! I thought it would be terrible too, but it's great!"

I eventually saw the program, and as previously mentioned, it was awesome.
I then had the following discussion countless times:

Me: "Dude, have you seen Underbelly?"
Person: "No."
Me: "It's awesome! Seriously! Best thing I've seen in some time."
Person: "But ... isn't it Australian?"
Me: "I know! I thought it would be terrible too, but it's great!"

I christen this The Underbelly Effect, because it's my blog, and I can make up names for things whenever I wish it to be so.

As previously mentioned, drama produced in Australia trends towards terrible. When Underbelly came out it took everyone I knew by surprise, because it was not shit.
I find the situation frustrating, because in Underbelly, each element - acting, writing, direction, swearing - were all top notch. In particular, actors who I had written off years ago were great in this.
It demonstrates that, in Australia, there is talent. If we wanted, we could make great programs. We don't.
I often wonder why.
(Hint: money)
Photo provided by mkrigsman

2 comments:

leenleenleen said...

haha I love the underbelly picture - so cute. I know that's not the point but oh well. x

Terry said...

oops. I didnt realise that facebook entry = same on your blog. oh well. i posted anyways :P