Sunday, June 14, 2009

I love you guys


The rant I posted on Friday in which I railed against All Saints generated some commentary that I really wanted to share.

First up was B, who brought up a point that I myself have struggled against on many an occasion:

"As much as you may dislike or like this program, it is worthy in that it is home grown television.
At the very least, it's Aussie-made and helps to stem the tide of foreign (American) TV that is threatening to completely swamp our airwaves.
It's drama like this that also helps stem the tide of reality TV - made because it's cheap (cheap and nasty most times).
Australian TV needs to invest in home-grown drama, comedy etc., otherwise it will die out.
We shouldn't stand for mediocrity or pure rubbish and that is reflected in ratings I suppose. Have you ever met anyone who contributes to ratings? Now, that's a true mystery (or conspiracy) who are the ratings people?
Just some thoughts."

While I agree with the underlying sentiment - that Australian drama is depressingly unexplored territory - I had a few quibbles that I wanted to explore, and was somewhat surprised that I hadn't already addressed them here on the blog, given the amount of dinner party discussion they have generated.
I was trying to think of what exactly to write when K came in with a response that, I feel, summed up what I was getting at:

"It may be home grown, but so are my stools!"

I think that about sums it up for now.

Photo provided by gtmc knight

No comments: