Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ninjas and Pens


Two things happened this week:


Firstly, Queensland teachers were asked to stop marking their students' work with red pens in a bid to improve mental health in the classroom.

Apparently, red is too aggressive a colour, and teachers are asked to switch to something more placid. The practical consideration that red stands out on a page, allowing for more visible corrections - you know, the reason it is used in the first place - was not mentioned. Paperfairy's photo over there shows this pretty well I think. If that was a calming blue or green, the words would be nigh unreadable.
This country is getting crazy. Why not just throw out marking altogether and replace it with hugs?

Secondly, I was exposed to this:



That's right. In Japan contestants compete in physical challenges to determine who is most equipped to tread the path of the ninja.


Sure beats the hell out of football, a pastime that envelops Australia without ever allowing contestants to enter a fourth floor museum window unseen having climbed the exterior wall.





The sum total of these two events? I am moving to Japan.

7 comments:

jay said...

Why not just throw out marking altogether and replace it with hugs?

you know, that sounds like the best idea Stef =D

sdelatovic said...

HIPPY!

Seriously though. I agree that smoothing out the rough, uncomfortable edges would be preferable, but I don't know how you would motivate people to learn things if they were free of even the artificial consequences of a B-.

jay said...

There are lots of alternatives. Steiner and Waldorf schools being two of them. Students there do not get graded or compared to others and they don't get criticism of their abilities either. What they do get is a deep sense of their innate value and support for the development of their core strengths. I don't doubt that there are kids who learn a great deal of 'stuff' in traditional education to help them fit nicely into the whole grand scheme of life. But having been force fed using essentially archaic methods (learning by ROTE anyone? ) that pay no attention to current understandings of childhood brain development and the wonderful ability of play to plasticize the brain and allow deep learning to occur quickly and without the need for punishment, pressure or shame to facilitate learning. In fact those exact things (AKA trauma) cause the brain to shut down as it were and often to 'prune back' brain maps or the collection of synapses we build to learn things.

When I've had the privilege to work with students with intellectual disabilities I've found that their ability to learn was pretty much dependent on a supportive environment that didn't involve much more than creating a space free from most things that characterize the traditional learning environment.

So not so much hippy as science buff. Though I do like to hug trees ;)

jay said...

apologies for that long winded sentence in there. *breathes deep*
iphone sucks when trying to compose, uh.. long winded sentences >.<

jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tsunami Hee Ja said...

Actually, the marking in red thing probably came from Japan. I'm pretty sure it's considered a sign of animosity to write notes in red there, and teachers can't mark with red pen for the same reasons being put forward by those schools in Queensland.

sdelatovic said...

Well, my assertions about red pens have certainly received a big, vivid D-, or possibly some form of anti-hug.

Jay: I take your comments on board. It's an entirely fair assessment that a system of such a creaking age could do with some sprucing up.

You, Sir, have schooled me with SCIENCE! And there needs to be more of that around.

Tsumi: I did not know that! Now you mention it though, I didn't see red pen in that Ninja Warrior video. The cool sensation of being dunked into water serves the purpose I suppose :).

I suppose I am influenced by my personal situation. This journalist thing tends to feel like everyone in the city is marking your work every day. I utilise that pressure to learn and improve, lest I suffer a nervous breakdown.