Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Story time: Bad service

Ok, allow me to, for want of a better word, rant.

See? I'm "down" with the fly "netspeak".

So my story begins with my X-Box; sure it's an ugly black brick with vomit green highlights, but it allows me to play video games, so all is forgiven.
Unfortunately, the bastard won't open. This is a problem. But do not despair! Problems can be solved! Money can be exchanged for goods and services! This includes the repair of ugly bricks!

Right?

So I lug the X-Monstrosity down to one of the city's respected retailers and ask him: "Can you please find out why this X-Box doesn't work?" (I'm paraphrasing here; I omitted the phrase 'pile of crap' for a start).
The next day, the man in the store becomes my favorite man, as he tells me it will cost $160 to repair - although a fair amount off money, much less than anticipated - and that when I acquired said money, he could order the necessary parts and have the work completed within two days!

Behold!

So, between three and five days pass, and I returned! "I'm cashed up! All systems go! Order away!" I said. (This is, unfortunately, a direct quote) His response? A lukewarm "ok" and "it'll take about a week". So, as my dreams of immediate B-button mashing evaporated faster than so many 1s and 0s, I beat a hasty retreat. I wanted to debate the situation, but I worried I may try to assault the man with a large metal glove.

Alas!

And so, a further three to five days pass, and I return to the store. The man, no longer my favorite person, but still beating out Hitler rather handily, greeted me with a rather heartwarming smile! Joy! Surely his happiness would signal impending good news!

Alas!

He laughed like a well-constructed flan and thanked me for coming down; my visit reminded him to order the needed parts, a task he had completely forgotten!

Excelsior!

I was, of course, overjoyed to be able to provide him with such a service. It was at about this stage that I began to consider this man as Slightly Less Than My Least Favorite Person. In the process of talking to the man through quickly eroding teeth, I gleaned that he had completely forgotten my original request: To fix my X-Box! On my initial visit, we had decided that, rather than replace one circuit board in the DVD assembly, we should go batshit crazy and, for an extra $20, replace the whole thing! Somehow, he was now under the impression that the entire project was to replace the laser! Would this help the X-Box open and close I enquired, and he started at me as if I had scrawled "stare at me from under an impressive combover" under my nose!
He had also taken to saying the word "about" before all information. What had once been $160 was now About $160, a week now About a week.
I fled the scene.
I began to suspect that this man, while a dab hand with a soldering iron, was not someone I would ever be chatting to after this episode, and I would more than likely find myself one day avoiding him in a small supermarket. And so the next day, yesterday, I returned, hoping madly against hope that either my X-Box was fixed or that the shop's proprietor had been stricken by a cold sore.

ALAS!

Neither pipe dream was delivered, and all attempts to glean information about the situation were greeted with yet more gregarious laughter and the repetitious phrases "nope", "no news" and "jeez, you're keen". And so, I have resolved to return tomorrow, and every day until the job is complete, for fear of another disastrous bout of forgetfulness.
I feel this will either quicken the process, or find me waking up post-bender in a pool of blood and circuit boards.

Now get off my lawn you rascals before I call the cops.

No comments: