Monday, May 11, 2009

And another thing ...

"You're so hot, I have entirely forgotten how boring everything else is." Photograph by Kekoah.

I don't know why, but I'm obsessed by Twilight.


My review of the film generated some cool commentary, which serves to further my fascination.


Firstly, from Jay via the comments here:

'My take on it is: it's a girl film. written and directed by females with a female demographic in mind. That's why I totally love it, and it works for my (decidedly female) brain :D. I mean, HE SPARKLES!!!!!!! that's totally what I look for in a guy! I can see why your boy(brain)s aren't into it though.'


See, I think this is at the heart of why I can't let this go. Edward is an amazing character because he has the greatest superpower ever:

He is so dreamy that he can make any film that surrounds him seem amazing, even if it really, really isn't.

It's the only explanation I can think of. Robbed of the ability to be attracted to Edward, I miss out on at least 75 per cent of the Twilight experience.



And secondly from a friend of mine via Facebook:

'I told (my daughter) you said Twilight was boring. She said you say that because you're old or at least middle age. You wouldn't have the passion like other fans, especially if you haven't read the book. So there! (She) says she thinks the film was only made for the fans of the book. Do you think that would be on the dime?'


She's got a damn good point, as I grow older and more miserable every day.

Evidence: Should a film adapted from a book be considered successful if the audience must read the book to enjoy it? Would that not imply that it is pointless?


Oh well, I suppose it's just not my thing. Good thing the internet facilitates my whining regardless.



3 comments:

jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jay said...

He is so dreamy that he can make any film that surrounds him seem amazing, even if it really, really isn't.
i think you are 100% correct Stef.

Case in point: i watched 17 Again and LOVED it. the swoon/drool factor elicited by Zac Efron kinda makes everything about the movie awesome.

>.<

Luke said...

Can I just let Jay and yourself, and the rest of the internet that has yet to hear know that Zac is starring in a remake of freakin' FOOTLOOSE? ZOMIGOD! It's as incredible as it sounds!