Monday, May 25, 2009

My fruit basket is mouldy


LOST consistently finds itself as the most pirated show on the internet.


Are we, the international audience, surprised? We shouldn't be.


Now, LOST is the kind of show I must see on time. As dependant as it is on a drip-feed on information and cliffhanger reveals, watching it a day late means you kind of have to switch off the internet. And I can't do that. I would miss things.


But the lesson is broader. If you define good TV as TV that inspires a loyal audience, than LOST is good TV. People want to watch it. Rather than railing against piracy, would it not be better to harness the power of this demand? American television networks are inching forward with Hulu and the like, but the international audience is often ignored.


It falls to Australian broadcasters to rectify the situation. If they are going to put all their eggs in the 'buy stuff from America basket', then they need to deliver the basket on time.


I've asked it many times, but if I can be watching an episode of LOST 20 minutes after it screens in the US, then why can't television stations get it at the same time?
Photograph provided by Earl - What I Saw 2.0

No comments: