Friday, March 13, 2009

Geek truth

Found this great statement from Massayrm on Aint it Cool News:

"As much as we might try to pretend otherwise, we (geeks) are nothing but a group of hyper-consumers who love to over-intellectualize our media and define ourselves with our fandom."

Spot on!

I am digging the endless discussion of Watchmen easily as much as the movie itself. I have spent many a winter night with nothing but a bottle of red wine and a spirited discussion of Wolverine's backstory to keep me warm.

As mentioned in my Twitter feed, I've been mulling over a way to express my belief that the Swan Hatch in LOST is a succinct metaphor for western society's laws. It will go something like this:

Electromagnetic anomaly = the human spirit. Untamed, random, pushed down and ignored.
The button = repeated, empty gesture that is sad in its desperate attempt to impose order on something uncontrollable by such a flawed system.
The rundown nature of the hatch, which is abandoned by Dharma = our system of bureaucracy. Broken and pointless, aged to the point of antiquity, with piles of broken pieces along the side of the road. We keep pushing the button.
Turning the key = the hypothetical leap of faith that may free us from all the pointless pain.

I'm not there yet, but I'm enjoying the process of mulling it over.

See? Me = geek. Over-intellectualisation FTW!

1 comment:

Memoirs of a Heroinhead said...

Why do all journalists look like serial killers???? It's bizarre.