Friday, March 6, 2009

This week brought to you by Playstation 3

The above photo provided by Goulao. It depicts something I've been doing in the mirror every night this week. Hadouken!


I would like to formally apologise for forsaking my blog this week to instead play Street Fighter IV and Resistance II and rewatch two seasons of LOST.


There, I said it. I've been getting my sloth on.



I would also like to say that this PS3 that has been sitting under my television since Christmas is actually pretty awesome when you use the damn thing.



We watched LOST season 4 on Blu-Ray and it was startling. Having previously seen it via .avi video files there was a sharp rise in quality. While the island really comes alive with that much definition, it can be distracting to yell "I can see all of Jack's beard hairs" or notice that some of the actresses are wearing make-up despite being 100 days into island isolation.


My favourite part of this Blu-Ray deal? The 'season play' feature. Stick in the first disk and it plays all the episodes, then prompts you for the next disk. When you put that in it immediately starts the next episode. If you stop in the middle of an episode and remove the disk to say, Tiger Knee Ryu a few times, you can put the disk in and it will remember where you were. Granted, it's one of those features I would never have noticed I was missing, but it is nice nonetheless.


And Street Fighter IV? Great. It's really just Street Fighter II with shinier graphics. Because of that it smells like my childhood and I love it. I initially thought it was a solid rental but I think I would recommend it for purchase if fighters are your bag. It's quick to pick up but there's depth hiding below the surface. Focus moves and the like skew the game a little bit away from the combo-centric approach which came to prominence at exactly the same time I lost interest.

I've been having a lot of fun with Sagat, as his Tiger Knee move can hit people approaching you from ground or air, knocks them back a long way, and sounds ridiculous. I mean, the dude screams "tiger knee!" as he flies through the air. I've felt fear in regards to tigers, but not centered on the leg joints. Also he only has one eye, and we dudes with poor depth perception have to stick together.


Resistance II was a lot of fun if not a little nondescript. It's a first person shooter and that's about it. The one unique feature is that you can play in online skirmishes that include 60 players, and that's a lot of fun. Two teams of 30 compete to capture and hold objectives as they are dynamically spawned by the game. Fun.

I don't have a headset for the PS3 and I doubt I'll get one as it's nice playing with people you don't have to listen to.


And LOST this week was insane and great. I was wondering aloud today why my interest in Battlestar Gallactica had suddenly faded so close to the finish line. I suspect it hasn't really, but that LOST has so occupied my imagination to such an extent that there is no room left other for other stories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Street Fighter II was the first arcade game I lost my shit over. I would pay $10 and go to the 2 hour lock-in(!) at the Metro Arcade in Manuka and waste half my time lining up at the one machine they had to play that damn game.

I started out as a Blanka man after discovering his electic shock manouever exactly mirrored my skill level (jamming one button really fast). I graduated eventually to Ryu and never looked back.

So in short, all this SF talk has got me yearning for a long Saturday afternoon at your place, and several blisters on my thumb.

Patchworkpicklesandpigeons said...

Apart from the fact you write so well reading your blog makes your Mummy laugh and that is a good thing. Love ya