Monday, March 16, 2009

Violence

I remember when the film Fight Club released, there was quite a bit of controversy surrounding its depiction of violence. Many seemed to believe that the events depicted on screen - a group of men fighting each other to reinvigorate their masculine selves - glorified violence.

I was perplexed at the time. If there's on thing that movie manages to portray well, it's that being punched by another person hurts like hell.
Unlike, say, every other movie ever, no-one in fight club banters throughout a fight while ignoring their sucking chest wound and the sword through their spleen. Guys just get punched a few times and then fall down. I thought it was shockingly realistic and the opposite of glorification.

I think that's what Watchmen needed. The message of the film - that these people are neither super nor heroes - is muddied by their fighting ability. When Night Owl and Silk Spectre infiltrate the prison they're dynamic and awesome. Slow motion accentuates their abilities and they destroy all comers. I would've liked to have seen them take a few heavy hits along the way at least.

I am increasingly fascinated by the seeming dissonance between Watchmen as a film and the audience's expectations going in. While it's interesting for me, it's somewhat disappointing to think of the people who may have enjoyed it but would have stayed away, expecting tights and capes and kung fu. Of course, there's enough of that in there to fill a trailer, which is probably the root of the issue right there.

1 comment:

Patchworkpicklesandpigeons said...

Watchmen was awesome. I went into it with no idea of what it was going to be like and quite frankly was prepared to not enjoy it. Boy howdy was I wrong. It was awesome. Okay, there was a little suspension of belief when Night Owl and Silk Spectre trashed the guys in the alley after years of not fighting but the rest of the film was soooo cool you could overlook this. Did I mention this film was awesome.