Friday, September 19, 2008

'Best Blogger' was likely not on the table

Facebook apps = the devil.

What should be a novel way of staying in touch with friends - at a comfortable arm's length no less - is instead awash with banal applications asking me to accept a meaningless gift or shoot someone with a nonexistent bullet.

Take, for example, Compare People.
I signed up for this godforsaken application after someone unwillingly sent me a message asking me to, and now it sends me periodic emails like this:



Your friends have voted on your strengths and weaknesses:

STRENGTHS:

best father (potential)
person with the best sense of humor
hardest worker

WEAKNESSES:

most outgoing
best dancer


What the hell?
Firstly, it's a touch confronting to discover that my online chums are apparently dissecting my character at a constant and feverish pace.
Secondly, what exactly does it mean?
Awarding me 'hardest worker' suggests that many do not know me as well as they suspect, although I will admit that my potential daditude and chuckle ability are spot on and appreciated.
But the weaknesses? Most outgoing? Best dancer?
Does this mean that I am the worst best dancer? The least most outgoing? Or is my ability to cut the rug in an efficient and groove-laden manner an intrinsic flaw in my character?

Facebook, if you're going to insist on pushing your advice upon me, at least have the decency to provide it in a legible fashion.

No comments: