Thursday, July 31, 2008

Victorii

Figures for the 12 months from April 07 to April 08 really puts this whole console war in perspective.

In publishing only, Nintendo made over $2 billion! Meanwhile Microsoft lost almost $600 million and Sony lost over $1 billion.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/07/29/console-makers-profi.html#comments

Picture in your mind's eye the dude who works at the local video game store, who looks at me with pity whenever I buy a Wii game, who told me the console was dead three months after release, who seems to believe that owning a Playstation 3 is a condition of entry into the store.

Picture me saying "nyah, nyah, nyah".

Nintendo has aced this generation folks, and it makes me very happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of sony and ms issues are the cost of the tech. the system and games probably cost a lot more than what they're selling them for. luckily these a big companies who can afford the losses.

I think The Bluray will help sony, and if this i-tv thing comes out in Australia as well, recording free to air tv? i think it will be for a lot of people more of an all in one entertainment system as well as just a gaming system.

I just hope nintendo survive gen 7. there's only so much you can do with the wii. yeah its fun but all these big games are being left out for them. I don't own a wii, but I have a lot of fond memories with the snes and 64 systems.

sdelatovic said...

I shall be the first to admit that my fondness for Nintendo springs initially from nostalgia.

A pastiche of Nintendo and Marvel comics did a lot of the heavy lifting when it came to raising young Stefan.

All your points are valid dude. I've flirted with console-based media centres, but the pads or remotes always seem sproingy and substandard.

PS3 has a massive amount of growth room as it's the new kid on the block and is, at present, kind of like an airplane hanger with a bicycle parked in it: mucho room to move.

The 360 though, well, that came out a year ahead of the Wii, and the Wii has outsold it pretty soundly.

All of these things aside, little can overcome one thing - the Wii is a total blast, like sticking your head in a fun cannon. And it maintains that level of funnage blastage across a wide range of people.

Oh, and good to hear from you again man.