Friday, August 15, 2008

Easy TV

I have been convalescing in bed over the last few days, with my body producing fluids quicker than I can expel them. As such, I have been watching a lot of television.

As previously discussed, I love TV. While I tend to fall head-over-heels for shows that are difficult, demand attention and reward a lot of brain power, I also like to maintain a reserve of Easy TV.

Easy TV shows are those I have on DVD that I can watch over and over again. Whether I'm hung over, sick, or simply moving through a lazy Sunday, these shows are the comfort food my eyes demand. I'm sure everyone has their own particular Easy TV, as mine are a combination of shows that are easy to digest, and those that I love so much that I know them by rote. Here they are:

Futurama: This meets every item on the Easy TV checklist. Cartoon? Check. Comedy? Check. Endlessly watchable? Check. I watch all four seasons of Futurama about once a month. This can play endlessly in the background, allowing me to tune in for the odd gag. For some reason I'm burned out on the Simpsons, despite a vaster field of episodes to choose from.
"You watched it, you can't unwatch it!"

Arrested Development: The funniest show I have ever seen. Like Futurama it was cut down too soon. I can watch this over and over and it's always hilarious. It's densely written, so repeat viewings never fail to reveal new running gags, allusions, and sight gags. Brilliant.
"Illusions! Tricks are something a whore does for money ... Or cocaine!"

Law and Order SVU: The reason I gravitate towards the most messed up of the L+E franchises escapes me, but I do. The 'done in one' nature of this aids ease of viewing.
"Sexually based offences are considered especially heinous."

Twin Peaks: Brilliant craziness. Hardly an 'ease of viewing' show, but the unrelenting wave of strangeness never fails to entertain. So damn fun.
"That's some damn good coffee, and some damn good cherry pie."

Buffy: If my love for a show was measured in terms of how many hours of enjoyment they had given me, Buffy would have to be the winner. I have watched this thing to death. Love it. I have watched the musical episode countless times, and generally go on to watch all episodes after it, and then wrap around and watch those before it, and then continue on a few more times. One of my all time favourite shows. Don't watch it so much any more, but absence makes the heart grow fonder.
"Anya! Anya?"

What are the shows you could watch forever?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red Dwarf - My comfort show. When I want something on that I don't want to think about but to entertain me..

Coupling - I need to rewatch these soon. Probably the best, funniest and most intelligent comedy series I have seen in a long time.

Dr. Who - Of course. Being so many episodes available, it's not much in the way of rewatching problems...

sdelatovic said...

Oh man I used to watch Red Dwarf endlessly. That show is magnificent.

Have never seen Coupling though. It good?

As for Dr Who, that's one of the many "really want to see it but never have" shows rattling around the edges of my life.

Anonymous said...

Coupling is good. Made by Stephen Moffat who made Press Gang and now taking over Dr. Who which should give you a rough idea. Think of "friends-type" couples sitcom but a more farce style and sometimes even experimenting with the episodes style each week. It's a bit ruder than Friends ever was and was more solidly consistant over the four years. I recommend.

Anonymous said...

Frasier. Lou and I have seen all eleven seasons several times. We've laughed at the ridiculous predicaments the Crane men find themselves in, we've cried when Daphne and Niles finally admit their feelings (and drive off in a Winnebago). Even the peripheral characters are so well developed - the irrepressible 'Bulldog' Brisco! The ruthless Bebe! Cam Winstone! Just saying (or typing) his name makes me giggle. Many of the jokes have become shorthand for Lou and I - just a couple of words can set us off. Man, I feel like going home and watching some now!