Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Superman

Superman is a dick. Don't know if I've mentioned that before, but go there.

I have been reading through the Graphic Content blog's dissection of the Superman 2000 pitch, in which writers Mark Waid and Grant Morrison sought to take over DC's Superman comics. It sounds awesome.

As a Marvel kid through and through, I always found Superman to be pretty bland. This was, of course, at the young age where I felt comfortable labelling something as crap without ever having laid eyes on it. Superman seemed vanilla and dull, so he was, even though I'd never read a Superman comic.

In more recent times I've read some Superman stories that are great. All-Star Superman in particular. But any run-of-the-mill issues I've read seem to reinforce my misgivings.

Superman is somewhat of a dull canvas. Some writers have painted amazing pictures on it, but just as often you end up with a Year 8 student* drawing a 2D satan and saying "it's about how hard it is to grow up" to cover up their lack of talent.

Anyway, if you're interested, read through the Superman 2000 analysis and join me in thinking of what could have been.



*totally me.

No comments: